the Shipping Registers database >>>
By law, from 1 January 1824, ships had to be registered in their home ports,
with details of where and when they were built, their type and physical
structure, their current and subsequent masters and the names of those who
owned the 64 shares into which ships were divided for purposes of ownership.
Any alteration to the size, shape or capacity of a vessel reqired its
The Shipping Registers form part of the Customs and Excise records. Those
records which pertain to the ports of Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire and
Wigtownshire are held in Dumfries Archive Centre, under Charge and
Superintendence from the Keeper of the Records of Scotland.
The Shipping Registers of Dumfries (1824 to 1904), Kirkcudbright (1824 to 1841),
Stranraer (1824 to 1908) and Wigtown (1836 to 1920) have been indexed by two of
the "Friends of the Archives of Dumfries and Galloway", Marshall Laing and Iain
Cochrane-Dyet , with the results of their labours being keyed into computer by
Note: The registers for Dumfries cover the port of Annan also.